Our History

Harry St. George Butterfield
Founder of Firm 1923
President 1923-1965

Dudley Butterfield CMG
Vice President 1946-1965
President 1965-1983

Butterfield & Company has been a Bermudian fixture for over 85 years. The business was started by Harry St. George Butterfield when the Company signed its first agency agreement with a biscuit manufacturer in the United Kingdom, for the promotion and sale of their products throughout Bermuda. By 1923, other agency agreements had been signed and Butterfield & Co. Ltd. was established. Thus began what has become the largest food wholesale distribution company in Bermuda.

In the early days, Butterfield & Co. Ltd. was located at 73 Front Street in a building now occupied by a retail store and other businesses. In 1952, the company moved into a small warehouse and office complex on East Broadway, strategically placed at the entrance to the city of Hamilton and close to the docks.

In 1982, a fire destroyed the main warehouse building and the sales and administrative offices. In 1984, Butterfield & Co. Ltd. relocated to a larger site in Devonshire, which allowed for further growth. The custom designed warehouse on the three-acre site has been expanded several times over the past 20 years.

Spencer Butterfield
President &
Chief Operating Officer

James Butterfield
Chairman & CEO

George Butterfield
Honorary Chairman

In 1993, Butterfield & Co. Ltd. merged with J.S. Vallis & Co. Ltd. and began trading under the name Butterfield & Vallis. The combined operation was too large to conduct out of one facility and was then separated into two divisions: Foodservice which operates from the former J.S. Vallis property on Woodlands Road in Pembroke and Consumer Products which occupies the Orange Valley, Devonshire site.

 
 

© Copyright 2017 Butterfield & Vallis. All rights reserved.